When I started blogging back in 2011, I really didn't know much about blogging, to be honest I just wanted a space to be social and start telling my story about the weight loss journey and in general my life living in the US after moving here from Colombia. Back then blogging wasn't as popular as it is right now, and things have changed a lot.
I remember the time when being social and blogging was just that. As the years has passed, we all had to learn about SEO, algorithms, and much more. Most people think that blogging is just having a website and social media accounts and post often. Reality is we bloggers have to invest money and time to be able to be successful.
So what is a successful blogger? I think each person would measure success in different ways, but when you start getting recognition from other bloggers and brands, that is when you know you are doing something good. That recognition will probably get the blogger paid campaigns and invite to special events.
What does a successful blogger need to do?
1. Find a niche, this is important because you want to know what to focus on. Niches can be food blogger, beauty blogger, and even a lifestyle blogger. I decided to choose to be a lifestyle blogger because that was going to allow me to have a variety of topics and share about parenting, recipes, travel, and more.
2. Create social media accounts. There is a saying in the blogging world that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket. You might need to have a presence in most social media channels. Most brands are going to ask you for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and lately TikTok.
3. Have a editorial calendar. You want to be organized and post consistently in your accounts. You don't want to look spammy, but you also want people to know you are sharing good quality content. Your readers will follow you when they know the content you share is relevant. A good blogger is organized, here it is one of my favorite bloggers and her story of how she got to be successful.
4. You also need to learn about SEO. This is important because you need people to find your website and find your content. It takes time and a lot of learning.
5. You need to learn how to be social. Growing your accounts is important. Although numbers are not everything, you need people to follow you and engage. Never, ever buy followers. It takes time to grow your accounts, but consistency is the key. Don't expect people to just follow you because you are awesome. Social media accounts are meant to be social. Comment and engage in other accounts. People will notice you that way.
6. Don't expect to be successful right away. It takes time. Not everyone makes it. It is like everything else. If you really want it to happen, then be consistent and persistent. Make it happen by putting the effort and work. Good luck if you decide to open a blog!