This post is sponsored by Gerolsteiner, however all opinions, grammatical errors and typos are my own.
Just a couple of weeks ago in the middle of this very hot summer, my husband and I decided to take a road trip from Ohio to California. We needed to bring one car back from Ohio, so instead of hiring someone we were brave enough to drive cross country, enjoy the beautiful Rocky Mountains in Colorado and brave the 100 plus degrees by the deserted areas on the way.
Off course we drove with the AC on to keeps us cool, but did you know that air conditioner can make you get dehydrated faster? The air conditioner causes low water content in the atmosphere, which results in increased water loss from the lungs and through the skin, causing dehydration and its symptoms such as tiredness, loss of concentration and headaches.
I wanted us to be comfortable during our trip so I made sure we had food, good music and off course we stayed hydrates. These are my 6 tips to stay hydrated during a road trip
1. Avoid Sugary Drinks: Most people do not know that if you drink sugary drinks you can increase your chances of dehydration because they reduce the amount of fluid that your body actually retains.
2. Plan ahead and use each pit stop on your trip to remind yourself to drink your water. (Helpful tip is to use the restroom then, because you are drinking water)
3. Pack a cooler or insulated bag to keep your water nice and cold. We love packing our Gerolsteiner sparkling water in our cooler. Gerolsteiner sparkling water not only tastes good but it is also good for our bodies. Due to its volcanic origin, Gerolsteiner sparkling Mineral Water inherently contains valuable minerals like calcium, magnesium and bicarbonate.
4. Eat fruits with high water content such as berries, pineapple, cucumbers, and watermelon. You can also pack some Potassium-rich foods like bananas. Avoid high sodium snacks such as potato chips and pretzels.
5.Using tools like the Gerolsteiner DrinkCheck app will help you remember to drink by setting a reminder and keep track of the amount of water intake.
6. Add citrus and berries to the water so that you can have some healthy flavored water while on the go.