By Viviana Cardozo
We visited the surgical room, which contains personalized surgery table, X-ray equipment, ultrasound, endoscopy, and anesthesia. The medical facilities, which had the most modern diagnostic equipment, antibiotics, intravenous fluids and other medicines. The program is more that medical care, we visit the refrigerator where several thousand pounds of fresh fish we're ready for the animals. (Yes, I think the animals eat better than us.)
For more than 50 years, SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment has played a vital role in the rescue and rehabilitation of injured and orphaned wildlife and recently hit a sobering milestone – surpassing 30,000 animal rescues.
SeaWorld’s conservation, animal rescue and research efforts include:
• SeaWorld’s Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation Program
• Unparalleled access for scientific research
• Eliminating the use of plastic bags in the park’s gift shops
• Continuing to advance water conservation
• Elimination of polystyrene foam products
• Recycling efforts • Oiled Wildlife Care Center
• Providing award-winning education programs that include structured teaching
• Partnership with world-renowned marine artist and conservationist Guy Harvey focused on ocean health and the plight of sharks in the wild
• The SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Conservation Fund, a registered, non-profit foundation that has granted $14 million in support of projects around the world
SeaWorld is more than an amusement park. They do a lot of ocean animals and they offer educational programs. At SeaWorld Se Habla Ballena (you speak whale)!
What is new at SeaWorld San Diego?
- Orca Encounter: Based on killer whale behavior in the wild—how they move, hunt and navigate, what they eat, and even how they communicate— this new encounter is a live documentary-style presentation helping park guests gain a deeper appreciation and respect for the orcas, and empowering them to preserve the future of these majestic animals
- Ocean Explorer: This extraordinary new attraction combines multiple aquariums, exciting rides and digital technologies designed to engage park guests in an experience centered on exploration and adventure. On the attraction’s signature ride, Submarine Quest, guests become adventurers on a global expedition of scientific exploration, travelling aboard submarines to see Ocean Explorer’s remarkable undersea animals.
- Electric Ocean: (Coming soon) As the sun sets, Electric Ocean™ will light up SeaWorld with an ocean of brilliance and vibrant energy that will transform the park into an underwater world of colorful luminescence. This new, nighttime summer spectacular will immerse guests in a glowing sea of wonder with bioluminescent-like lighting, a dance club and pathway entertainment. Electric Ocean kicks off June 17 and runs on select dates through Sept. 4.
- UPCOMING SEASONAL EVENTS & FESTIVALS
- FOURTH OF JULY—SeaWorld will present a 20-minute fireworks show synchronized to patriotic music on the Fourth of July.
- HALLOWEEN—During SeaWorld’s Halloween Spooktacular® (Sept. 23–Oct. 29), kids can show up in costume and enjoy a Halloween-themed sea lion and otter show, Clyde & Seamore’s Big Halloween Bash, plus colorful costume characters and trick-or-treating among a sea-inspired atmosphere.
- WINTER— Nov. 18, 2017–Jan. 1, 2018 SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration® is back with Santa, sea lions and snow! Guests can grab hot cocoa and experience Santa’s Christmas Village, the return of Rudolph’s Page 2 Christmastown and fun holiday-themed shows. Families also can enjoy the nightly lighting of the 40-foot animated tree and more, all under the glow of SeaWorld’s 320-foot Skytower Christmas Tree of Lights.
3 Must Do Experiences At SeaWorld
1. Dine with the Orcas
Dine With Orcas is an hour long experience and generally open 7 days a week.
The delicious buffet features striploin, chicken, salmon, salads, pasta, sides and much more, and includes sustainable, organic, seasonal or locally-grown ingredients.
2. Beluga Interaction and Dolphin Interaction Program
For dolphin lovers, this in-water experience allows you to meet, touch & feed dolphins in their own environment. Learn different hand signals used to communicate with these intelligent mammals.(Participant must be at least 10 years of age and taller than 48")
3. Penguins Close Up Tour
Note that participants must be at least 6 years of age. Children under age 14 must be accompanied by a paid adult participant.
500 Sea World Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
Viviana Cardozo is a Colombian business woman living in California with her 5-year-old son.
She enjoys writing about travel, lifestyle, and entrepreneurship. Over the past few years, she has had the pleasure of working on campaigns for the Colombian Ministry of Tourism, private tourism companies, and a variety of well-known brands throughout Latin America.