About the book
We are in the midst of a sleep deprivation crisis, writes Arianna Huffington, the co-founder and editor in chief of The Huffington Post. And this has profound consequences – on our health, our job performance, our relationships and our happiness. What is needed, she boldly asserts, is nothing short of a sleep revolution. Only by renewing our relationship with sleep can we take back control of our lives.
In her bestseller Thrive, Arianna wrote about our need to redefine success through well-being, wisdom, wonder, and giving. Her discussion of the importance of sleep as a gateway to this more fulfilling way of living struck such a powerful chord that she realized the mystery and transformative power of sleep called for a fuller investigation.
The result is a sweeping, scientifically rigorous, and deeply personal exploration of sleep from all angles, from the history of sleep, to the role of dreams in our lives, to the consequences of sleep deprivation, and the new golden age of sleep science that is revealing the vital role sleep plays in our every waking moment and every aspect of our health – from weight gain, diabetes, and heart disease to cancer and Alzheimer’s.
In The Sleep Revolution, Arianna shows how our cultural dismissal of sleep as time wasted compromises our health and our decision-making and undermines our work lives, our personal lives -- and even our sex lives. She explores all the latest science on what exactly is going on while we sleep and dream. She takes on the dangerous sleeping pill industry, and all the ways our addiction to technology disrupts our sleep. She also offers a range of recommendations and tips from leading scientists on how we can get better and more restorative sleep, and harness its incredible power.
In today's fast-paced, always-connected, perpetually-harried and sleep-deprived world, our need for a good night’s sleep is more important – and elusive -- than ever. The Sleep Revolution both sounds the alarm on our worldwide sleep crisis and provides a detailed road map to the great sleep awakening that can help transform our lives, our communities, and our world.
Why should you read this book?
- Importance of sleep in terms of redefining success, through wisdom, wonder, well-being and giving.
- Importance of sleep to our health and lives, and on the long term danger of sleep deprivation on performance and happiness
- Our inability to get enough sleep impacts our lives, undermines our decision making, compromises our health, our athletic performance, our work lives, our relationships and even our sex lives, and causes us to lose control over of how we interact with others and engage with the world.
- Importance of dreaming, tackles how technology changes our sleep cycles,, and explores ways to get better and more restorative sleep.
- Sleep aides, and the role of the sleep industry in compromising our efforts to get a full nights sleep.
- Tips and strategies to take control of our sleep lives, and learn to make the power of sleep work for us in rejuvenating our brain cells, in regulating our weight, improving our concentration and strengthening our memory skills.
If you want to buy it you can use my affiliated link below...