The fun event included activities where parents and kids had the opportunity to interact with each other, some of those activities included
- Photo booth
- Sharing and Viewing Stories
- Panel of Parents and Educators
- Giveaways (all attendees received a gift pack of products)
- Aprender Juntos (Learn Together) Parents received a lanyard and kids received a wristband and instructions sheet for “Dream Together” game
- Compartan un Abrazo (Share a Hug): Parents and kids got their photos taken in a photobooth
- Comunicarse (Communicate Together): Families participated in activities to encourage communication.
- Tomar Acción (Take Action): Parents, caregivers and teachers shared their own education story and “Golden Nugget” which was videotaped.
- Kids’ Corner: Fun activities for kids, including chalk drawing.
- Mr. Jose L. Rodriguez, Director of Education for Texas and Southwest Region at National Council of La Raza (NCLR)
- Dr. Feliza Ortiz-Licon is a Senior Director of Education at the National Council of La Raza (NCLR)
- Carmen Hernandez, classroom teacher at Bryson Avenue School
- Fabiola Del Toro, Director of the Center for parents in Maywood Elementary
Motivated by my mom, I also finished all my basic school and got my masters in Public Health online, with a full time job, a husband and a child. It was not easy, but it is rewarding.
One of my favorite parts of the event is when we all got to share our "Golden Nugget” about education. Mine is education is fun. I always make learning a fun activity for my son. Every moment in life is a learning opportunity and if we make it fun and we are there to share it with our kids they will learn not only a lot but will start loving going to school and doing their homework. My son is only 9 and he already have plans for his future, and they are great. He wants to go to college and to the MIT to study cosmology. Now it is my role as a parent to continue motivating him to reach his goals.
Call to action!!!
Let me know how it goes.....