Arepas are good topped with almost everything, you will not get bored. Try them with cheese or with meat as a topping. You can get really creative!
- 2 1/2 cups cornmeal flour(PAN, Maseca, Dona Arepa)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Organic Vegetable oil
- Mix salt with the arepa flour.
- Pour the hot water over the flour and mix well. Stir in the melted butter. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Separate the dough into rounded pieces. The dough can me moist with more water to be shaped into "balls" without having any cracks.
- Place each ball in between two plastic bags and flatten until you get the desired round shape. Smooth any cracks. Place shaped arepas on skillet or comal, covered.
- Heat the comal or skillet on medium heat. Place some oil in the skillet. Place arepas in the pan.
- Cook arepas about 5 minutes on each side. Until they brown slightly. Add more oil to the other batches as so they do not stick to the skillet.
- You can eat them right away or let them cool and freeze them for future use.