When the infection is chronic (latent) means that person has the bacteria that cause TB in his or her body, but the bacteria are not causing any disease or symptoms. If you are diagnosed with latent TB there is a chance that the bacteria may cause disease in the future, so you are likely to be offered treatment to prevent this from happening.
- 30% of humans are infected
- A new infection happens every 3 seconds
- Every 21 seconds, someone dies of TB
- Primary care physicians can and do make a huge difference in identifying and treating TB infection before it blossoms into active disease. 37 million lives have been saved between 2000 and 2013 through identification of infection and treatment.
- TB is a serious disease that kills about 1.5 million people each year worldwide.
TB Blood Test
- The most accurate test for TB infection.
- No cross reaction due to a previous TB vaccination.
- Only 3 ml of blood needed regardless of patient’s age and immune status.
- The convenience of just 1 visit.